Sunday 7 September 2014

Review: Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Wonder
Wonder
R.J. Palacio
Published by Knopf 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary

Goodreads | Bookdepository

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.



POSITIVE THOUGHTS

  • Cute cute cute cute! My gosh, this book is so cute! I loved Auggie, I loved his personality, his jokes about his face and how he interacts with his friends and his parents. 
  • The Pullman family is literally a dream family. I know, they have their issues, August to start with, but also Via and the fact that she realises she will always get less attention than her little brother and even though she understands, it doesn't make it easier. But his parents are so lovely, I can't even describe how I feel about Auggie's parents. They handle situations so well, they have created this wonderful atmosphere in the family where everyone has it's place and they have a really strong bond which I hope I will experience one day with my own family. 
  • The amount of tears I shed during this story!! I wasn't just sad when something bad happened to Auggie or the family, but when he grew and he made friends and he resolved issues I was tearing up because, oh damn, it's all so cute and heartwarming and uuuugh I just want to cuddle this book and its characters so much. 
  • I loved how we got to experience the story from different kids' point of views and I have to say Via's part surprised me the most. I loved how mature and thoughtful she was about August and her family. 

NEGATIVE THOUGHTS

  • THERE ARE NONE! THIS BOOK IS PERFECT!

Have you ever cried multiple times during a story? Would you like to read Wonder? Or if you have, don't you just want to cuddle with it for the rest of your life?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 whatkimreads

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi