Monday 22 September 2014

Back to school: Teacher Training College

 You might have noticed my complete absence from this blog for the past week. Now before you express your complaints, I had a very good reason for this temporary break! Settle down, sweethearts. I'm back and I'm here to stay. You see, the reason for my hiatus was school. I had my first week of school and since I always need those first few days to get accustomed to everything, I decided I would just leave the blog for a short while.


So now that I'm back, I'd like to tell you about my new school and what exactly is it I do there. I tried university for two years, studying English and Dutch linguistics and literature, but it just wasn't for me. I had a hard time admitting that to myself, but now I'm happy that I got out of that negative spiral. I wasn't a very good student and I constantly felt like I didn't get it and I didn't belong. I wasn't very happy with life


So then I decided to quit! Ah! Freedom! But not for very long, since I still have to earn a degree. I still love languages and I still love my English and Dutch dearly, so I didn't want to give up on my favourite subjects (and let's just be honest: the only two things I'm really good at). So what did I choose?

TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGE!

Yes, I only just learned what it's called in English today. How convenient!


So yes, I'm studying to become a teacher in English and Dutch (and I might even do an extra year in History as well! Just for funsies. History is fun.) With this degree I will be able to teach kids from ages 12 to 16, sort of like Middle School, I suppose. So basically I have to get a bunch of teenagers to listen to me nag about English or Dutch. Lovely, isn't it?!

Please excuse my sarcasm. You see, it's not that I'm not excited (because I am!!! Very much!!), it's just that I can't help being realistic about this: teenagers aren't easy to handle. And I will have to learn a lot about managing a class room so I can be a good teacher, since that's what I'm aiming for. I'm passionate about my subjects, and I also care for youngsters, but jeeeez don't get me started on how annoying they can be. We've all been there. (Some never left...)

 No really, I'm actually very excited to have started a new chapter in my life (nice and cheesy, yes). I really want to grow and evolve and just become an interesting person, a good teacher and a loving woman. I've had one class of each of my different courses now, so I can say that I really do enjoy it and I feel very comfortable at school. In this first week I also tried to get to know a lot of people, since I didn't have any friends at university, and I even made some lovely friends. I couldn't be happier! I feel good, very motivated, accepted and for once I don't feel like everything is way over my head. I feel right! I feel so happy! Okay, lots of feelings here.

Basically this is what I felt like sharing about my life as a teacher in training. Now that school has started I can build up a new routine to keep everything running smoothly, homework-wise and blog-wise. I might make some changes, like days I'll be posting on, but we'll see about that. 


Thanks for sticking around while I was otherwise occupied. Y'all are the greatest!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 whatkimreads

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi