Friday 29 August 2014

Review: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale
Margaret Atwood
Published by Vintage Books 2007
Genre: Classics, Dystopia, Feminism

Goodreads | Bookdepository

The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one function: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred's nor that of the two men on which her future hangs.

Brilliantly conceived and executed, this powerful evocation of twenty-first-century America gives full rein to Margaret Atwood's devastating irony, wit and astute perception.



POSITIVE THOUGHTS

  • The first reason why I love this book, is because of its strong feminist message, of course. This is a really creepy dystopian story in which women are just... I can't even... It's literally a nightmare of mine. What if one day things just get out of hand and before you know it, you don't even own your own body anymore. Your body solely exists to create another human being, that's it. That's all you're good for. 
  • I can't say I necessarily enjoyed reading this book or enjoyed the story, because no, I did not. But that's not the point of this book! This book hasn't been written to entertain you with a nice plot and fluffy characters. This book makes you feel uncomfortable and it makes you cringe, multiple times. But that's exactly why I love it so much, because it sort of hurts to read it and it doesn't leave you indifferent. 
  • I did enjoy the writing style, which I thought was kind of sober and melancholic, especially when the narrator talks about life before. 
  • ALSO THE ENDING! I loved the ending. I'm not saying anythin about it, except that it gave me hope

NEGATIVE THOUGHTS

  • I personally didn't really understand the last chapter. For me, that part could have been left out.

Talk to me about any feminist book you have read!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 whatkimreads

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi