Monday 11 August 2014

Review: The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now by Meg Jay

The Defining Decade
The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now
Meg Jay
Published by Twelve 2012
Genre: Non-fiction, Self help

Goodreads | Bookdepository

Our "thirty-is-the-new-twenty" culture tells us the twentysomething years don't matter. Some say they are a second adolescence. Others call them an emerging adulthood. Dr. Meg Jay, a clinical psychologist, argues that twentysomethings have been caught in a swirl of hype and misinformation, much of which has trivialized what is actually the most defining decade of adulthood.

Drawing from a decade of work with hundreds of twentysomething clients and students, The Defining Decade weaves the latest science of the twentysomething years with behind-closed-doors stories from twentysomethings themselves. The result is a provocative read that provides the tools necessary to make the most of your twenties, and shows us how work, relationships, personality, social networks, identity, and even the brain can change more during this decade than at any other time in adulthood-if we use the time wisely.

The Defining Decade is a smart, compassionate and constructive book about the years we cannot afford to miss.



POSITIVE THOUGHTS

  • I realise this kind of book isn't for everybody, but personally I can really enjoy a good self help book. I'm the kind of person who thinks a lot about life and my future and I try to plan it all out in my head. Of course nothing will quite be the same as I imagine it now, but hey, a girl can dream! Sometimes I lose my grip, though, and I lose focus on what I'm supposed to do now that I'm officially in my twenties. This book focuses on a few cases of people in their twenties who are all sort of lost and want to find their way back in track of life. This book also stresses the importance of your twenties multiple times. I liked how it dealt with three different parts about work, relationships and yourself as a person. I read this book months before I started this blog, so the details are a bit washed out by now, but in general I enjoyed this book.
  • I liked how the author included examples of cases she handled, cases in which these people talked about what was going on in her life and she then clarified how she helped them see their lives differently and how they actually helped themselves become better in whatever they needed to improve in. Wahhh!! I love some insight on psychology in practice. It's intriguing how a small change in perspective can really change someones life for the better. 
  • Also there are some very remarkable statements in this book, as well as research material. Personally I was the most stunned by the fact that, apparently, living together before getting married does not improve your chances of having a successful marriage. I mean WHAT? I totally believed it did! Curious? Read the book!

NEGATIVE THOUGHTS

  • Of course there were also some subjects that didn't interest me at all and were kind of boring, but hey, I guess everyone has different problems and needs different advice, so it's ok. It didn't lessen my thoughts about the book that much, which is why I still wanted to give it four stars. 

Do you read self help sometimes? 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 whatkimreads

Distributed By Blogger Templates | Designed By Darmowe dodatki na blogi